What Is Council Tax? How Is It Worked Out?
Council Tax is a contribution towards the cost of providing services to all of the residents in the District. It is not a payment for services actually received or used by the individual resident or household.
You can find out more about Council Tax by going to the .Gov website
The largest amount of Council Tax is charged by and is paid back to Essex County Council.
How Is Council Tax Worked Out?
You can read more about this in the explanatory notes for all of the precepting authorities below:
- Maldon District Council - Council Tax Explanatory Notes
- Essex Police (on the website for the Police and Crime Commissioner for Essex)
- Essex County Council
- Essex County Fire and Rescue Service
We do not decide property bands, this is decided by the Valuation Office Agency and is based on the value on 1 April 1991, not their current value.
The latest bandings and charges can be found in our explanatory notes.
How to pay
- Direct debit - The quickest and easiest way to pay. Sign up online or download a form to complete.
- Online - Use our website to make a secure payment on line.
- Other ways to pay are on the back of your bill
'Connect' To Your Account 24/7
Sign up to access your account information online via our 'Connect' service when it suits you.