Maldon District Council

Support and Advice for Home Owners and Tenants

Find other housing support and advice

View pages in this section

Older and disabled people

Swan Care and Repair - Home Improvement Agency - aims to maximise people's opportunities to remain in their own homes with greater independence, comfort and security

Advice for disabled people about VAT relief on products on services

AskSara - daily living tools

Disability and Carers Service - responsible for delivering attendance allowance, disability living allowance and carer's allowance

Shaw Trust - national charity working with employers, social services and the disabled to help people with disabilities find employment

The Pensions Service - a dedicated service for current and future pensioners

Legal and debt

Charis Grants - offer grant awards for utility debt and other essential household bills and costs.
Current domestic customers of any of the following companies can apply for financial help: British Gas, N Power, EDF, Anglian Water and Veolia

Citizens Advice Bureau - helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice


Child Support Agency - assesses, collects and pays Child Support Maintenance, ensuring that children whose parents do not live together are financially supported

Forced marriage - useful contacts

HM Revenue Customs Tax Revenue, Tax Credits and Child Benefits


Communities and Local Government - help with home ownership, reducing homelessness and tackling anti-social behaviour

Energy Savings Trust - help to improve homes, advice on energy saving measure and reducing carbon footprint

Shelter - emergency help and advice, homelessness, repossession, paying for a home, renting and leasehold, eviction and families and relationships. Shelter is the leading expert on housing in Britain

Swan Housing - floating support funded by Essex Supporting People. It focuses on:

  • families who require support
  • young people
  • drug and alcohol misuse
  • vulnerable adults within the community
  • mental health

The Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) funding new affordable homes in England

The Rent Service is a government agency providing a rental valuation service to local authorities in England, supplying them with a range of valuations to assist them in settling claims for housing benefit

Housing benefits

Council tax

Change of address


JobCentre Plus - offers help to people looking to move into work and support for people who can't


Equality and Human Rights has advice if you have been discriminated against because of your age, religion or belief, disability, gender, race or sexual orientation

  1. Adapting your home to meet your needs
  2. Energy efficiency
  3. You are here: Find other housing support and advice
  4. Common problems and how to deal with them

Information on...