Maldon District Council

Personal Licences - Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)

Personal licences

A personal licence permits the person named on the licence as the designated premises supervisor (DPS) to sell alcohol anywhere in England and Wales. A designated premises supervisor MUST be the holder of a personal licence.

When submitting an application, the following documents must be included:-

  • completed disclosure of convictions and declaration form;
  • original training certificate;
  • original basic disclosure certificate (DBS) or Police National Computer certificate;
  • two passport photographs, one of which is endorsed on the back, (guidance on photographs and endorsements); and
  • application fee.

Renewal of a personal licence

Due to changes in legislation, personal licence holders are no longer required to renew their licence after 10 years. If you have a personal licence with an end date, this date is no longer valid and your licence will not expire on this date.


Please see the Fees for a personal licence, copy or change of name/address.

If the application is not successful, the fee is not refundable. The applicant has the right of appeal to a magistrates' court.

MDC Public Register of Personal Licence holders

National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders

The Council does not hold training courses to deliver the National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (NCPLH).

For information on the accredited qualification please contact the BIIAB on 01276 684449 or

If you require any assistance in relation to a personal licence - please contact us.

Removal of designated premises supervisor

If you no longer wish to be a designated premises supervisor (DPS), you need to give formal notice to both the licensing authority and also the premises licence holder. Please complete and return the request form to the Council and the premises licence holder. There is no fee.

Information on...