Senior Specialists: Development Management
- Service Delivery
- Vacancy type
- Permanent full time
- £39,438 - £44,369 per annum
- Closing date
- 28th July 2019
Post Number MDC001529
We are looking for dynamic and focussed individuals to be our Senior Specialists – Development Management as part of our biggest and most ambitious transformation which will be taking the Council to new levels of excellence. The post holder will be one of the principal sources of Development Management advice in the Council.
This is a rare and exceptional opportunity to provide functional leadership of an innovative team who have been shortlisted for Local Authority Planning Team of the Year 2019 and to protect the intrinsic beauty of ‘The Times’ best countryside location and still be within easy reach of London.
As one of the most senior Development Management planners at Maldon District Council you will play a pivotal role in leading a vibrant Development Management Service, providing professional advice and guidance to the team and their workload relating to all types of applications, appeals and planning enforcement.
Reporting to the Specialist Services Manager and Lead Specialist for Place, you will be expected to have a positive, solution-finding approach to work whilst achieving targets and meeting deadlines. You will present applications to the Planning Committee and represent the Council at appeals. As such you should have a sound and thorough knowledge, with extensive practical experience, of all aspects of the planning and the development process, particularly with regard to planning applications, appeals and planning enforcement.
You will be delivering projects, interventions and initiatives and develop policies (together with the Strategy teams) in-line with corporate and business plans. In addition, you will ensure and develop appropriate levels of quality and specialist knowledge within the Case Management and Customer Solutions teams, to ensure that enquiries and cases are managed and completed at the appropriate level.
About this role
- Deliver customer-focused development management advice and services, keeping up to date with current and emerging legislation, best practice and policy to ensure continuous development and improvement in services.
- Manage complex work that will require a detailed understanding of planning policy and associated processes, regulations and legislation.
- Provide functional leadership for a team of specialists ensuring the provision of professional services that meet customer needs.
- Support, guide and advise multi-skilled service delivery teams (Customer Solutions and Case Management) on less complex cases related to Development Management.
- Prepare and present reports to council committees and other internal and external meetings.
- Assisting the development of the community of practice across the organisation including mentoring staff in order to improve delivery of the specialism and support career development.
- Ensure personal, professional development is maintained to the required standards.
Specific duties and responsibilities include
- Provide professional planning leadership and management of staff within the Development Management Service including Planning Enforcement, with a clear emphasis on continuous improvement, performance delivery and customer service, under the direction of the Lead Specialist for Place and the Specialist Services Manager.
- At times, dealing with complex and major applications, ensuring validity, visiting sites, analysing planning history, carrying out consultations, assessment and drafting of recommendations within given timescales.
- Manage a personal caseload of all forms of planning and related matters, acting as role model for the team.
- Act as the gravitas role, including presenting reports at Planning Committee and other Authority meetings as required
- Check reports and recommendations, signing off delegated decisions on all types of applications.
- Act as expert planning witness at public inquiries and to produce statements and proofs of evidence as required for appeals and court hearings.
- Lead and motivate members of the Planning team; monitor and review individual performances and assist in their continued professional development by carrying out case reviews, identifying priority cases when allocated and overseeing the preparation of regular individual performance figures to identify areas of concern and success.
- Demonstrate commitment to the value of the planning service to the delivery of The Local Plan and to act as advocate for the function both inside and outside the Authority.
- Ensure that the service demonstrates ongoing improvement on quality and performance standards.
- Manage complaints effectively, fully addressing issues, learning lessons whilst robustly defending correct procedures and decisions.
- Deputise for the Lead Specialist for Place as required.
You must have excellent report writing, communication and IT skills. You should hold a relevant qualification, preferably with full membership of the RTPI, and have at least 5 years’ experience in Development Management, with at least 2 years in a management or supervisory role.
For an informal discussion about this position
For further information about the role, please contact Matt Leigh on 01621 875740 or download and read the job description.
Complete the application form online. CVs will not be accepted.
Guidance notes for applicants and further documents are available here.
In addition to a competitive salary you will be entitled to participate in the Local Government Pension Scheme, cycle to work scheme, salary sacrifice car lease scheme and will benefit from free parking. You will also be entitled to a discounted local gym membership and payment of one annual professional fee (if applicable). You will also have access to a range of work/life balance policies.
Maldon District Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable groups including children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Disclosure and Barring checks will be undertaken according to the responsibilities of the role.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, culture and experience. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, sex, disability or marital status.