Specialist: Building Control
- Service Delivery
- Vacancy type
- Permanent full time
- £28,485 - £38,892 per annum
- Closing date
- 5th October 2019
Post Number MDC001530
A fantastic and exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced professional within the flexible and modern building control service at Maldon District Council.
We are now looking for someone with a working knowledge of the Building Regulations 2010 (as amended), with (or working towards) an appropriate qualification (RICS, CABE, CIOB) and some experience in building control to join our team.
About this role
Your role will include a mix of having responsibility for an area for site inspections, plan checking and working proactively to retain and win building control work.
You will need to be a team player, able to prioritise a busy workload and demonstrate a proactive approach to plan assessment and site inspection work, checking compliance with Building Regulations and associated legislation. You should be able to think, plan and act with a creative approach to problem solving and delivery in demanding circumstances and with competing priorities..
Specific duties and responsibilities include
- Ensuring that building regulation applications are dealt with according to agreed targets and timescales.
- Assessment of submitted plans and supporting information, negotiating with consultees, applicants and their agents and answering queries from members of the public and their elected representatives. Dealing with certificates/notifications with regard to the need for building control permission.
- Take enforcement actions for non-compliance of Building Regulation requirements, including serving notices and attendance at court.
- Represent the department where necessary on internal/ external projects.
- Attend to dangerous structures, determining action and measures to be taken to make the structure safe.
- Specify immediate actions, and supervise works to render structures safe, including where necessary demolition.
- Professionally assist the Senior Specialist and Lead Specialist in reviewing and implementing all aspects of the professional Building Control Service, procedures, policies, marketing and enforcement, in line with changing legislation and codes of practice.
- Ensure all policies, practices, legislation and codes of practice are adhered to.
- Promote a high level of customer satisfaction in accordance with Council Policies.
If you are training towards a role as a Building Control Surveyor and are unsure if you would meet the essential criteria, please do not hesitate to contact us for an informal discussion.
For an informal discussion about this position
For further information about the role, please contact Matt Leigh, Lead Specialist (Place) on 01621 875740 or download and read the job description.
Complete the application form online. CVs will not be accepted.
Guidance notes for applicants and further documents are available here.
In addition to a competitive salary you will be entitled to participate in the Local Government Pension Scheme, cycle to work scheme, salary sacrifice car lease scheme and will benefit from free parking. You will also be entitled to a discounted local gym membership and payment of one annual professional fee (if applicable). You will also have access to a range of work/life balance policies.
Maldon District Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable groups including children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Disclosure and Barring checks will be undertaken according to the responsibilities of the role.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, culture and experience. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, sex, disability or marital status.