Senior Specialist: Local Plan
- Strategy, Performance & Governance
- Vacancy type
- Permanent full time
- £39,438 - £44,369, plus market supplement
- Closing date
- 23rd August 2019
Post Number MDC001512
Maldon is a great place to work and live.
And we are looking for a dynamic and focussed individual to be our Senior Specialist – Local Plan as part of our biggest and most ambitious transformation which will be taking the Council to new levels of excellence. The person we want to join us at this exciting time will be the principal source of Planning Policy advice in the Council, reporting directly to the Strategy, Policy and Communications Manager.
Do you have the experience to deliver a specialist, professional Planning Policy service with high standards of advice and support?
The role requires the talent to ensure as a Council we are compliant with statutory regulations, legislation, professional codes of practice and adherence to council policy. You would be expected to deliver projects, interventions and initiatives and develop policies (together with the Strategy Theme Leads) in-line with corporate and business plans.
To ensure and develop appropriate levels of quality and specialist knowledge within the Case Management and Customer Solutions teams and ensure that enquiries and cases are managed and completed at the appropriate level.
There is something extra-special about this role – it offers the potential of supporting the development of an evidence base for a development consent order for a nuclear power plant development in the district, Bradwell B. This significant infrastructure development will require Maldon District Council as the lead local planning authority to work with County partners and the developers, CGN and EDF. If you have experience of working on a major infrastructure project or feel ready for this exciting challenge, then we’d like to hear from you.
About this role
- Deliver customer-focused planning policy advice and services, keeping up to date with current and emerging legislation, best practice and policy to ensure continuous development and improvement in services.
- Manage complex work that will require a detailed understanding of planning policy and associated processes, regulations and legislation.
- Provide functional leadership for a team of Planning Policy specialists ensuring the provision of professional services that meet customer needs.
- Support, guide and advise multi-skilled service delivery teams (Customer Solutions and Case Management) on less complex cases related to planning policy.
- Prepare and present reports to council committees and other internal and external meetings.
- Working collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation, Members and managing key relationships e.g. with members, partners and other stakeholders.
- Assisting the development of the community of practice across the organisation including mentoring staff in order to improve delivery of the specialism and support career development.
- Ensure personal, professional development is maintained to the required standards.
- You will be encouraged to further develop Agile working and project management skills and embed them across the Council.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
• Delegated management of staff both directly supporting and providing cover for managers as required.
• To effectively assist in the leading and motivating of assigned teams; to monitor their achievements and to assist with their continued development.
• To scope and manage work plan delivery for major/ complex projects and provide support for managers.
• To take responsibility for the delivery of assigned tasks and projects, supporting managers, and including major and complex applications and other development management related matters.
• To oversee and contribute to assigned projects, including assessment of assigned budgets and project procurement.
• To assist in the preparation of Service and individual work plans and programmes.
• To project manage specified projects and liaise with the Council’s consultants and partners on projects, research and other relevant work and where necessary organise the commissioning of multi-disciplinary consultants, including the preparation and management of tender specifications and management, monitoring and evaluation of work undertaken.
• To contribute positively to the development and implementation of the Council’s strategies and achievement of its objectives
• To advise, negotiate and mediate with prospective developers and other customers on planning and general service matters.
• To prepare and undertake public consultation exercises in accordance with the Statement of Community Involvement, statutory, service and / corporate plans and requirements.
• To contribute to the continuous identification and implementation of improvement and help increase the level of customer satisfaction levels through improving service delivery.
• To work with managers in the preparation of business plans, contribute to their implementation and the monitoring of performance.
• To work with other Services in the organisation to ensure best use of resources and liaison between services.
• To work corporately and with external partners (representing the Council) and customers as appropriate to ensure effective service delivery contributing to corporate objectives as required.
• To be a lead officer for the relevant committees and support managers at Member meetings and Member events and other partnerships which have Member involvement.
• To act as a point of contact between Members of the Council and the service.
• To advise and support staff across service area, corporately and externally on relevant matters.
To deliver this role you will require a degree in Planning or a relevant subject and Membership of a relevant professional body (e.g. Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI), RICS)
For an informal discussion about this position
For further information about the role, please contact Georgina Button (Strategy, Policy & Communications Manager)Tel: 01621 875872 or download and read the job description.
Complete the application form online. CVs will not be accepted.
Guidance notes for applicants and further documents are available here.
In addition to a competitive salary you will be entitled to participate in the Local Government Pension Scheme, cycle to work scheme, salary sacrifice car lease scheme and will benefit from free parking. You will also be entitled to a discounted gym membership and payment of one annual professional fee (if applicable). You will also have access to a range of work/life balance policies.
Maldon District Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable groups including children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Disclosure and Barring checks will be undertaken according to the responsibilities of the role.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, culture and experience. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, sex, disability or marital status.