Specialist - Development Management (Level 1)
- Service Delivery
- Vacancy type
- Permanent full time
- £28,485 - £32,866
- Closing date
- 5th October 2019
Post Number MDC001531
We are looking for dynamic and focussed individuals to join our team of Specialists – Development Management as part of our biggest and most ambitious transformation which will be taking the Council to new levels of excellence. The post holder will be a source of Development Management advice in the Council.
This is an exceptional opportunity to be part of an innovative team who have been shortlisted for Local Authority Planning Team of the Year 2019 and to protect the intrinsic beauty of ‘The Times’ best countryside location and still be within easy reach of London.
As one of the Development Management planners at Maldon District Council you will play a pivotal role in assisting the Senior Specialist: Development management in leading a vibrant service.
As a Specialist, you will be expected to deliver a, professional Development Management service with high standards of advice and support, ensuring you are compliant with statutory regulations, legislation, professional codes of practice and adherence to council policy.
You will assist in delivering projects, interventions and initiatives and develop policies (together with the Strategy teams) in-line with corporate and business plans. Ensure and develop appropriate levels of quality and specialist knowledge within the Case Management and Customer Solutions teams. To ensure that enquiries and cases are managed and completed at the appropriate level.
About this role
As a Specialist: Development Management, you will be expected to:
- Deliver customer-focused development management advice and services, keeping up to date with current and emerging legislation, best practice and policy to ensure continuous development and improvement in services
- Manage complex work that will require a detailed understanding of planning policy and associated processes, regulations and legislation.
- Support, guide and advise multi-skilled service delivery teams (Customer Solutions and Case Management) on less complex cases related to planning policy
- Ensure personal, professional development is maintained to the required standards
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation, Members and managing key relationships e.g. with members, partners and other stakeholders.
- Access and accurately update all relevant information systems, both customer and back office ensuring that the master customer record is updated and maintained through verification and validation, and in accordance with Data Protection principles
- Act as a member of corporate or community project teams - providing specialist advice and input
- Own key professional and technical stakeholder relationships on behalf of the council relevant to day-to-day delivery of services or projects
- Have a deep understanding of more than one specialist area, enabling resolution of a broader range of more complex cases, applications and inspections and providing resilience and flexibility within the specialist team
- Provide functional leadership for a team of specialists ensuring the provision of professional services that meet customer needs
- Prepare and present reports to council committees and other internal and external meetings
- Assist in the development of the community of practice across the organisation including mentoring staff in order to improve delivery of the specialism and support career development.
To deliver this role you will require a degree in Planning or a relevant subject and Membership of a relevant professional body (e.g. Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI).
For an informal discussion about this position
For further information about the role, please contact Matt Leigh, Tel: 01621 875740 or download and read the job description.
Complete the application form online. CVs will not be accepted.
Guidance notes for applicants and further documents are available here.
In addition to a competitive salary you will be entitled to participate in the Local Government Pension Scheme, cycle to work scheme, salary sacrifice car lease scheme and will benefit from free parking. You can also receive assistance with child care, discounted local gym membership and payment of one annual professional fee (if applicable). You will also have access to a range of work/life balance policies.
Maldon District Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable groups including children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Disclosure and Barring checks will be undertaken according to the responsibilities of the role.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, culture and experience. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, sex, disability or marital status.