Specialist: Environmental Health (Level 2)
- Service Delivery
- Vacancy type
- Permanent full time
- £37430 - £42585 per annum (pro rata)
- Closing date
- 24th March 2023
Vacancy Number MDC001741
Grade of Post: H
Offering flexible new ways of agile working with the Council Offices based at Princes Road, Maldon available as required.
Maldon District Council is seeking to employ an experienced Specialist in Environmental Health to work within our busy, multi-skilled Commercial Team.
The post holder will be expected to provide a range of commercial activities, working with the Senior Specialist to ensure performance targets are achieved and deadlines are met. The post holder will have a caseload of complex cases and is expected to manage the vast majority of work under their own initiative. They must provide technical advice and decision making in all aspects of the role, including taking formal action where applicable.
We are looking for someone who is a qualified EHO with experience in commercial and licensing activities involving animals. Ideally the successful candidate will have the Level 3 Certificate in Inspecting Licensable Activities Involving Animals or be working towards this.
About this role
The key requirements of this role are to:
- Undertake programmed food hygiene inspections to meet annual targets every year.
- Ensure the Council is meeting its statutory obligations to protect public health and animal welfare within the district.
- Give advice on Commercial activities (food safety, health and safety, infectious disease, skin piercing, animal welfare licensing.
- Provide support in relation to Taxi and Private Hire Licensing as required
- Investigate accidents and incidents, effecting remedies as appropriate.
- Review existing, new and upcoming legislation and ensure that the Council has systems and procedures in place to meet legal compliance and other requirements.
- Support the development of the Commercial Team’s policies, procedures and arrangements to ensure they are up to date and compliant.
- Own key professional and technical stakeholder relationships with external agencies, including enforcement agencies, and work collaboratively with colleagues across the organisation.
- Assist with reporting on Commercial Team activities to relevant agencies, e,g. HSE, FSA, collating data for statutory returns by the deadline when covering for the Senior Specialist.
- Ensure all statutory activities are completed in good time and service objectives are met through effective time management.
- Provide advice, training, coaching and mentoring to support development and succession planning within the team.
- Contribute to the continuous identification and implementation of service improvements within the team to help increase customer satisfaction levels and improve service delivery.
This is an exceptional opportunity to be part of a forward-thinking local authority based in Maldon, an area which boasts an enviable quality of life and stunning countryside, yet within easy reach of London. We promote a professional work environment with a focus on self-development, innovation, and collaborative working.
If this interests you, we look forward to receiving your application.
In return we offer you an attractive salary package with local government benefits along with the opportunity to work in a beautiful rural district steeped in history and heritage.
For an informal discussion about this position
For more information or an informal chat, please contact Hannah Wheatley on 01621 732646 or email@example.com. or download and read the job description.
Complete the application form online. CVs will not be accepted.
Please note: All interview notifications will be sent via e-mail. Please ensure you provide an e-mail address so that we can make contact with you.
It is Council policy not to respond to applicants who have not been shortlisted for interview. Therefore should you not hear from us within 3 weeks of the closing date, please assume you have been unsuccessful.
Guidance notes for applicants and further documents are available here.
In addition to a competitive salary you will be entitled to participate in the Local Government Pension Scheme, cycle to work scheme, salary sacrifice car lease scheme and will benefit from free parking in the Council Office car park. You will also be entitled to discounted local gym membership and payment of one annual professional fee (if applicable). You will also have access to a range of work/life balance policies.
As part of any recruitment process, the Council collects and processes personal data relating to job applicants. The Council is committed to being transparent about how it collects and uses that data and to meeting its data protection obligations. For more information please see the Council’s Privacy Notice to understand your rights.
Maldon District Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of vulnerable groups including children, young people and adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Disclosure and Barring checks will be undertaken according to the responsibilities of the role.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds, culture and experience. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, sex, disability, marital status and other protected characteristics.