You are here:

Building regulations

Unauthorised works

If alterations or extensions have been undertaken without building regulation approval it may cause difficulties when you are trying to sell your property.

This is because you cannot supply the purchaser with the appropriate approval notice and/or completion certificate, which raises questions about the building construction and structural integrity of the work since there has not been impartial and independent inspection of the works.

You can, however, apply for a regularisation certificate for any works undertaken illegally after 11 November 1985, but you need to be aware that you may be asked to expose, lay open certain sections of the work, or submit plans and calculations to show compliance with the building regulations.

To apply, you will need to provide us with:

Please provide us with the information above and we will calculate the charge based on the extent of the works and the complexity and give you a quote (no VAT is payable).

You can email your documents to us, alternatively you can post them to us at Maldon District Council, Princes Road, Maldon, Essex CM9 5DL. Please note we can only accept electronic plans up to A3. Anything larger than this needs to be provided in paper format.