You are here:

Worried about losing your home?

Advice and information for specified vulnerable groups.

Serving and former members of the armed forces

Under Maldon Council’s allocation policy section 2.3-2.4 armed forces, reserve forces personnel and bereaved spouses or civil partners of armed forces personnel will under certain circumstances be prioritised within their band when they apply for eligible properties (link to Advice can also be found on the following websites: Gateway to homechoice allocations policy)

Advice about benefits and concessions for the Armed Forces, veterans and their families can be found on  

Housing advice can be found on:

If you are about to leave the army or have left the army and are  homeless and have been unable to stay with family/friends and or find private rented accommodation you should contact the Housing options team on You will need to provide written confirmation of the date of your discharge from military service.  

Leaving prison

If you have a tenancy and are sent to prison see the Shelter advice below:

If you are due to be released from prison in the next 56 days please see the Shelter advice below:

Leaving hospital  

Discharge from hospital

If you are due to leave Hospital and have nowhere to go or your home is unsuitable for you to return to you should speak to nursing staff who will advise the Hospital discharge team. If you will be homeless they will have a duty to make a referral to a Council. If you rent and your home will be unsuitable for you on discharge then you need to contact your landlord in the first instance. If you rent or own your own property then you should look at link

You may also be able to join the housing register ‘Gateway to Home choice’  

Care leavers

If you are a care leaver you may be able to get housing assistance from social services. If you between the ages of 18-25 years and are threatened with homelessness or made homeless you should contact your personal adviser. The help you will get will depend on your age and what help social services provide locally. The Personal adviser may refer and or liaise with the   Housing options service who will work through the accommodation options available to you. 

If you are leaving care your Personal Adviser will  agree a  pathway plan with you before you leave care detailing where you will live and any support you  might need to live independently.

Advice can be found on the shelter website. 

Domestic Violence 

Is not just physical violence it can also include threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional).

If you and or your children are in danger because of domestic violence you should ring 999.

If you cannot live in your home because of domestic violence and it is not safe for you to go and live with relatives and or friends you can contact one of the agencies below to get some advice, support and assistance including information about refuge spaces. 

Safer Places Domestic abuse support service 03301 025811 (covers Essex and Hertfordshire)  

National Domestic Violence Helpline 08082000247

There are specially trained staff at Maldon Council, Moat, Citizens Advice Bureau who you can talk to about any domestic violence issue and they will seek to assist you with finding a refuge space with Safer Places.  

If it is dangerous for you to remain where you are and you have been unable to find alternative safe accommodation then you should contact .or ring

If you are aged 60 years plus and facing homelessness

If you can register on Gateway to Homechoice. You may be eligible to bid for one-bedroom Housing association sheltered housing flats that become available in the Maldon Council area on a fairly regular basis. This may mean that you can resolve your housing difficulty without having to go into temporary accommodation and or have a very long wait for a one-bedroom general needs flat.