You are here:

Zoo Licence

Making complaints

Please contact us in the first instance.

Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to the local Magistrates' Court.  The court may give directions on the issue of a licence. 

Any licence holder may appeal to a magistrates' court against:

  • a condition attached to their licence or any variation or cancellation of conditions
  • the refusal to approve the transfer of a licence
  • a zoo closure direction
  • enforcement steps to any unmet condition

The appeal must be brought within 28 days from the date on which the licence holder receives written notification of the Council's decision.

Consumer complaint

We advise that in the event of a complaint, you contact the zoo first - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery) or directly.  Alternatively, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct can give advice.  If you are outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

If you are concerned about animal welfare issues, please contact the Council.

Other redress

If you are not happy about other issues such as nuisance (e.g. noise, dust and drainage), information is available on our website.