You are here:

Sex establishments

Sex establishment licence

If you want to run a sex establishment in the Maldon District, you will need a licence from us.  A sex establishment includes a sex shop, sex cinema and sexual entertainment venue, for example lap dancing. Please read the Council's policy on sex establishments.

The licensing, renewal and transfer of a licence is governed by the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, Part II as amended by the Policing and Crime Act 2009.

You must comply with the conditions attached to a licence.

Notices must be displayed at the premises and placed in newspapers circulating in the Maldon District detailing that an application has been made.   The notice, using the following format, must be displayed and published no later than 7 days after the application is received by us.  A copy of the newspaper advertisement with details of the publication and date must be submitted to us. 


Notice is given that (insert full name of applicant)

applied to Maldon District Council on (insert date application received by the Council)

for the grant/renewal/transfer of a licence to use premises/vehicle/vessel/stall as a sex shop/sex cinema/sexual entertainment venue (insert relevant descriptions).

The premises are at (insert full address)


The vehicle/vessel/stall (insert relevant description) will be used as a sex establishment at (insert full address of location) 


Any person who wishes to object to this application must give notice in writing of their objection to Maldon District Council, Princes Road, Maldon CM9 5DL within 28 days of the application date (detailed above).  This application can be viewed at the Council offices.  The objector must state the general grounds of their objection. 


Making representations

If you wish to make representations about an application, they should be in writing and reach us no later than 28 days after we receive the application, stating your general grounds for objecting.