You are here:

Premises and club premises certificates: variations and minor variations

Complaints about premises licences

If you have an issue with a variation of a premises licence or club premises certificate based on the four licensing objectives, you can make representations.


Responsible authorities, residents and businesses in the Maldon District may make representations to us before amendments to a premises licence are granted.

If representations are made, the Council will write to all parties to notify them that a hearing will be held to consider the application and the representations that have been made. This is an open hearing where responsible authorities, residents or businesses can attend.

Current premises licence applications


A review of the premises licence or a club premises certificate may be requested by a responsible authority, residents or businesses in the Maldon district, or a club member based on the four licensing objectives.

To call for a review of a premises licence, please complete an application and return it to us.

The completed application form must be served on the licence holder and all responsible authorities on the same day and by the same method or the application could be void (see Appendix 2 of the Licensing Policy).


Appeals against the decision of a review can be made to the local Magistrates' Court within 21 days of the decision.

Complaints about the business

In the event of a complaint about a licensed premises, you are advised to contact them first - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not helped and you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct can give advice. From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

If you are not happy about other issues in relation to this licensed premises such as nuisance (e.g. noise, dust, and drainage), there is information available on our website.