You are here:

Taxis And Private Hire

Dual driver licences

With a dual driver licence, you can drive both hackney carriages (taxis) and private hire vehicles.  The licence lasts for 3 years and you must comply with the licensing conditions:

   Licensing conditions for hackney carriage
   Licensing conditions for private hire

DBS and right to work in the UK checks

Before being licensed, you must have an enhanced DBS check.

A number of bodies can undertake these checks including Chelmsford City Council.  If you would like Chelmsford City Council  to undertake the check, please contact us for a DBS form. Once completed, return the form to Maldon District Council Licensing with your application fee of £44.  Guidance on completing a DBS application form.

Your right to work in the UK will be checked as part of your licence application.  This may include checking your immigration status with the Home Office and we may otherwise share information with the Home Office.  You must provide a document or document combination that is stipulated as being suitable for this check.

If there are restrictions on the length of time you may work in the UK, your licence will not be issued for any longer than this period.  In such circumstances, the check will be repeated each time you apply to renew or extend your licence.  If you are disqualified from holding a licence during this period because you have not complied with the UK's immigration laws, your licence will lapse and you must return it to us.  Failure to do so is a criminal offence.

Driving licence

We need to check your driving licence: to do this, you will need to give us consent by completing a DVLA Driving entitlement consent form - three year mandate.

Criminal convictions policy

Medical examination

All applicants must undergo a medical examination and a doctor must complete a medical report.  If you are over 65, you will need to have an annual medical examination.

Knowledge test

New applicants must take a knowledge test - see Guidelines.

Licence fee



To apply, submit a completed  application  or, if your licence is about to expire, a renewal application  form with the following:

  • DBS certificate that is less than 2 months old or a completed DBS form plus personal identification (e.g. passport or birth certificate - see below for more information) and proof of current address (e.g.  utility bill, bank statement)
  • Proof of entitlement to work in the UK (if not provided with a DBS form - see guidance)
  • DVLA Driving entitlement consent form - three year mandate
  • medical certificate
  • 2 passport style photographs
  • payment

You must provide original documents which will be checked, copied and returned to you. 

If providing a birth certificate or adoption certificate to show right to work in the UK, this needs to be a full birth or adoption certificate issued in the UK which includes the name(s) of a least one of your parents or adoptive parents plus an official document issued by a Government agency or a previous employer giving your permanent National Insurance number and name. 

Your application will not be considered valid until all necessary information and original documents have been produced.

Other information

Public register of taxi and private hire drivers.