You are here:

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licence

Licence summary

If you rent out a property which is a house in multiple occupation (HMO) in the District, you may require a licence from us.  A house in multiple occupation is a property rented out by at least three people who are not from one 'household' (e.g. a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen.  It's sometimes called a 'house share'.  The most common type of HMO is bed sitting rooms with a degree of sharing, commonly the kitchen and/or bathroom.  There are a number of exemptions e.g. where the landlord is a registered social landlord or similar body, or where there is a resident landlord (depending on the numbers).

You must have a licence if you are renting out a large HMO.  Your property is defined as a large HMO if all of the following apply:

  • it's rented to five or more people who form more than one household and tenants share toilet, bathroom or kitchen facilities.

If you are unsure whether your house is an HMO or not and whether it is licensable then please contact us.

Management of HMOs

Properties that are currently licensed with the Maldon District Council can be viewed on the public HMO Register.