You are here:

Animal Welfare Licences

Making an application and renewals

Renewing a licence

If you already have an animal licence under other legislation, your licence will be valid until the day it expires.  You will be sent a reminder 12 weeks before it is due to expire and you have 2 weeks to complete and return a renewal application to the Council with the fee.  If you do not make your application within this timeframe, the licence will not be considered a renewal but a new application.

Making an application

You can apply for an animal welfare licence by downloading and completing the relevant application form below:

and making payment of the fee. You can contact the Council on 01621 854477 and pay the fee by debit card (Code F5719210). 

When we receive an application along with the fee an inspector will arrange an inspection. The inspector may also bring a vet to check on the health and welfare of the animals and the cost of the vet will be passed on to you.   

If the inspector is satisfied that the licensing conditions have been met, a licence will be issued for one, two or three years (depending on the circumstances).

If you have not heard from us after 6 weeks, please contact us as it is illegal to operate without a licence.   It is also an offence not to assist an inspector in the taking of samples from animals; to obstruct an inspector in the performance of their duties or to breach the licensing conditions.

Failed application or licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

An operator who is aggrieved by a decision by the Council to:-

  1. refuse to grant or renew a licence; or
  2. revoke or vary a licence

may appeal within 28 days of the day after the date of the decision to a first-tier tribunal.

Consumer Complaint

In you have a complaint about a licensed activity, you are advised to contact them first - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery).  If that has not helped and you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct can give advice.  From outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.  

If you are concerned about animal welfare or think that they are in breach of their licensing conditions please contact us.

If you have other concerns relating to an animal welfare activity (e.g. noise, dust and drainage), information, including how to make a complaint, is available on our website.