Small business rate relief
You can get small business rate relief if you:
- only use one property, and its rateable value is less than £15,000
- use more than one property, and the rateable value of each of your other properties is less than £2,899.
The rateable values of the properties are added together and the relief applied to the main property.
How much you will get
- If your 2017 rateable value is £12,000 or below, small business rate relief will be given at 100%
- If your 2017 rateable value is between £12,001 and £14,999 inclusive, the small business rate multiplier is used and relief will be given on a sliding scale - from 100% at the bottom of the range to 0% at the top.
- If your 2017 rateable value is between £12,000 and £17,999, the small business multiplier is used (even if you have more than one property).
How to apply
To make an application for small business rate relief download and complete an application form.
For further information, please view the Business Link website.
Currently you can apply for small business rate relief at any time during the current valuation period and for a further six months after the end of this period. You can also apply up to 6 months after the date the council is told about a change in the rateable value that means the property would be eligible for relief if this is later.
It is still possible to claim Small Business Rate Relief under the 2010 Rating List. We advise you to claim your refund as soon as possible.