COVID-19 Advice for Businesses
Maldon District Council is committed to supporting our businesses through this challenging period and we are working with our partners to provide advice and assistance as required. We are also taking decisions that will maintain the viability and sustainability of the Council over the coming months, to ensure we continue to deliver vital services.
We have welcomed the support announced for businesses by the Chancellor and guidance that will be provided in the coming days and weeks regarding this. We will continue to engage with local businesses and groups and are liaising with colleagues in other authorities to ensure best practice is being shared. We are using our social media channels to provide advice to businesses on this evolving situation and recognise the importance of supporting local employers. We will endeavour, with all expediency to implement the support as identified and in line with the forthcoming guidance.
Maldon District Council will process your business rates holiday and/or grant as soon as it can. You may need to provide additional information in order for any grant to be paid. More information will be available here.
To protect our residents and staff we would ask that customers do not visit the Council Offices. At this time, it is not necessary for businesses to contact the Council regarding these business support measures and doing so may divert our team and delay implementation of the forthcoming support. If the matter is extremely urgent by telephone 01621 854477. Thank you for your understanding.
- Support for businesses through the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme
- Support for businesses through deferring VAT and Income Tax payments
- Support for businesses who are paying sick pay to employees
- Support for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses that pay business rates
- Support for nursery businesses that pay business rates
- Support for businesses that pay little or no business rates
- Support for businesses through the Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan Scheme
- Support for larger firms through the COVID-19 Corporate Financing Facility
- Support for businesses paying tax: Time to Pay service
In addition, the Government have pledged an additional funding of £500 million (nationwide) for Council Tax relief through existing Local Council Tax Support schemes.
COVID-19: guidance for employees, employers and businesses
- Guidance for employees, employers and businesses from Public Health England and Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- The Enforcement of Business Closures from 23rd March
- Permission for Pubs and Restaurants to Operate as Takeaways
- COVID-19 Food Delivery and Take Away Guidance from the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance for the charity sector
- Government Guidance in relation to Hotels/Holiday Parks and Caravans
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Latest information and advice from our partners
- HM Revenue & Customs has launched a Tax Helpline to help businesses concerned about paying their tax due to Coronavirus. The number is 0800 0159 559.
- Government’s Business Support Helpline for free advice: 0300 456 3565 Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm
- Guidance from Public Health England - Information for the public on the outbreak of coronavirus, including the current situation in the UK and information about the virus and its symptoms.
- Bank of England measures to respond to the economic shock from Covid-19 & Covid Corporate Financing Facility (CCFF)
- British Chambers of Commerce’s website for advice on preparing for and responding to Coronavirus.
- ACAS website to read information for employees and employers, including simple steps to help protect the health and safety of staff.
- Companies House has produced online guidance for companies affected by Coronavirus and who need more time to file their accounts.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Latest Information and Advice from BEST Growth Hub
- Coronavirus latest information from Essex County Council
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): Information and guidance for SMEs from South East LEP
- South East LEP Coronavirus Business Impact survey
- Tourism Sector - Latest news and information about COVID-19 from Visit Britain
- Coronavirus Business Support from HM Government and FAQs
- Support for Businesses from Outside of Government