You are here:

Skin piercing

Making an application

You can apply online to register a skin piercing activity or print an application to register.


Failed application and licence holder redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

If a registration is suspended or cancelled, the you may appeal to the local Magistrates' Court.

More information is available from the following trade associations

British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (BABTAC)

British Institute and Association of Electrolysis

Consumer Complaint

In the event of a complaint about a skin piercer, you are advised to contact the business first - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery).  If this has not helped and you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice Bureau will give you advice.  If you are outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

If you are concerned about hygiene issues, other health and safety matters or want to report an unregistered skin piercer, please contact us

If you would like to report the tattooing of a person under 18 years of age, you will need to contact the police.

Other redress 

If you have other concerns relating to a skin piercer, e.g.  noise, dust, drainage, information is available on our website.