You are here:

What is Housing Benefits and Council Tax support?

What is Housing Benefit and Council Tax support?

Housing Benefit is an income-related benefit to help people on low incomes to pay their rent.

Council Tax support (CTS) is a local income-related discount to help households with low incomes to pay their Council Tax.  Read more about the local Council Tax support scheme.

Both can provide financial help for you if you are:

These benefits are different from any Council Tax discounts and exemptions that might also reduce the amount of Council Tax you pay.

If you need more information about other benefits such as income support, jobseeker's allowance and tax credits, visit the Gov website.