Who can claim housing benefit?
You can claim housing benefit if you are:
- a tenant renting from a landlord or housing association (also known as a registered provider)
- a tenant renting via a 'share ownership scheme'
- someone living in a hostel
- someone living in a hotel
- someone living in a mobile home
- a boarder whose rent includes meals
- paying ground rent for your accommodation i.e. a caravan or static home
We will usually ask for proof of your rental arrangement to confirm that you have to pay rent for the accommodation you live in, eg written agreement, proof of payments.
Housing benefit cannot help with mortgage payments. Go to the .Gov website for more help with this.
You cannot claim housing benefit if you live the the same property as a close relative.