You are here:

Housing benefit

If you (or your partner) are of working age, you may not be able to make a new claim for Housing Benefit. Instead, you will need to apply for Universal Credit to help pay your rent. You can find out whether you need to claim Housing Benefit or Universal Credit.

Housing benefit is an income-related benefit to help people on low incomes to pay their rent.

You can claim housing benefit if you are:

  • a tenant renting from a landlord or housing association (also known as a registered provider)
  • a tenant renting via a 'share ownership scheme'
  • someone living in a hostel
  • someone living in a hotel
  • someone living in a mobile home
  • a boarder whose rent includes meals
  • paying ground rent for your accommodation i.e. a caravan or static home

We will usually ask for proof of your rental arrangement to confirm that you have to pay rent for the accommodation you live in, e.g. written agreement, proof of payments.

Housing benefit cannot help with mortgage payments. Go to the .Gov website for more help with this.

You cannot claim housing benefit if you live in the same property as a close relative.

Make a claim for housing benefit