You are here:

Dangerous wild animals

Dangerous wild animals licence

If you own a dangerous wild animal (that has been classified as such under legislation) and keep it in the Maldon district, you will need a licence from us.

Animals classified as dangerous wild animals are identified in the Dangerous Wild Animal Act 1976 Schedule to the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976. This does not apply to animals kept for commercial activities, for example, those kept in a:

You may not be granted a licence if you are or have been convicted of an offence under any of the animal acts.

When we receive an application, along with the relevant fee, we will contact you to organise a visit. The officer will visit along with a vet to check the health and welfare of the animal, and to ensure that the public are protected from harm. The cost of the vet will be passed on to you.

If everything is found to be satisfactory, a licence will be issued which will last for 2 years. The licence will need to be renewed every 2 years.

Download an application (PDF) for completion.

You must advise us if the animal is to be moved outside the Maldon district.


Please see the register of dangerous wild animal licences issued for the Maldon district. If you are aware that somebody owns a dangerous wild animal but is not licensed and you think it should be, please contact us.