You are here:

How to make a complaint about a nuisance

What we can't do

The Council cannot take enforcement action on nuisance based solely on complaints. We have to independently establish, by staff witnessing the nuisance or by other methods, to establish that the problem is a legal nuisance.

In some cases, despite all efforts, the Council will not be able to establish that the problem is a statutory nuisance.  In these cases individuals can take their own action for nuisance via the Magistrates Court under Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. 

Please read 'Taking your own action' and The Law Relating to Statutory Nuisance for more information.