Draft Gambling Policy: Notice of Intention - Gambling Act 2005
Published on Friday, 15th June 2018
The Council as a licensing authority under the Gambling Act 2005 is required by law to publish a Statement of Licensing Policy. The Policy sets out the principles that the Council will apply in exercising its functions under the Gambling Act.
This Policy is currently under review as it expires in January 2019.
The Policy recognises the licensing objectives set out in the Act.
- Preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime.
- Ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way.
- Protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.
The Council works in partnership with statutory bodies to ensure proper application of the licensing objectives. It does not seek to promote licensable activities or restrict opportunities for individuals to engage in such activities. The Council hopes, through the licensing process and the decisions it takes, to make the Maldon District a safe and welcoming place for both residents and visitors to enjoy.
There are no substantial policy changes to the Statement of Licensing Policy, it has been updated to:-
- reflect requirements placed on licensees, including risk assessments;
- delete references to the Gambling Act being new legislation as it was introduced over a decade ago; and to
- delete duplication.
As part of the consultation process, interested parties are invited to comment on the Policy which can be found here. Key changes have been tracked for reference.
If you would like to comment on the Policy, please do so on or before the 15th August 2018 by:
- emailing email@example.com; or
- writing to Maldon District Council, Princes Road, Maldon CM9 5DL.
Following the consultation and review, it is the Council’s intention to publish the final version of the Statement of Licensing Policy in December 2018 on its website.
The Policy will take effect in January 2019.