Vacancy for an Independent Person - Members' Allowances Review
Published on Thursday, 26th July 2018
An opening exists for a community minded resident of Maldon to make a contribution towards the effective administration of the District Council.
Maldon District Council comprises 31 councillors who are elected to determine the policies and priorities of a small District local authority. Councillors undertake a wide range of roles and receive financial allowances in accordance with a Members’ Allowances Scheme which sets out the payments to be made for each role.
The purpose of the panel is to :-
- Review the existing scheme of allowances, including the Basic allowance (paid to every Member)
- Review the levels and categories of Special Responsibility Allowance (paid to those Members who play leading roles in the affairs of the Council)
- Ensure that the allowances paid to elected Councillors fairly reflect their contribution to the work of the Council
- Review levels of other allowances ( e.g subsistence ,travelling and carer’s allowance)
- To make recommendations to the Council on the appropriate level of payments to be made in the future.
The panel is made up of three members of the public – all of whom are independent of the Council.
Applications are invited from residents of the District and representatives of community or business groups who feel they have a positive contribution to make to their local community. The successful applicant must be prepared to attend meetings, undertake necessary research and evaluation of relevant data, and contribute to the preparation of the Panel's report The appointment will be for a 3 year term with a possibility of a further 3 years.
Ideally those applying should:
- reside in the Maldon District;
- preferably have a knowledge of local government and the way it works;
- not be an elected Member or Officer of Maldon District Council in the last five years;
- not normally be a member of a political party;
- not be a close relative or a close friend of an elected Member of the Council.
Applicants need to demonstrate high standards of personal integrity and be objective, independent and impartial. A fixed allowance of £250 is payable for each completed review undertaken.
If you wish to apply for appointment to the panel, please complete the application form above and return it to :
Senior Accountant, Financial Services
Maldon District Council
The closing date for the receipt of applications is Monday 13th August 2018.
CVs will not be accepted.
We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.
If you require any further information please contact Financial Services on 01621 875727.
Or email email@example.com