You are here:

Latest news

Chairman's Column - 10 August 2021

Published on Tuesday, 10th August 2021

Chairman of the council Cllr Mark Heard June 2021 in front of MDC offices

Planning Permission

“Have you ever thought about creating more space in your home, or making it more energy efficient? Maybe you are looking to self-build? You’ll probably need planning permission if you want to build something new or make a major change to your building, such as building an extension or changing the use of your building. But how do you apply for Planning Permission? Well, you can submit applications to Maldon District Council online via the ‘Planning Portal’ (

“Whether your project is large or small, the Planning Portal's interactive guidance about common projects can help you to plan and take the next steps to begin your building work. The online system allows you to fill in application forms and certificates, attach drawings, and send your application to us electronically (plans submitted do need to be in PDF format).

“So, what do you have to do? STEP 1 - Planning your project. Whether you are thinking of a loft conversion, an extension or a new kitchen, making significant improvements to your home will require detailed planning and research. The portal gives advice on how to get your project started and you can research over 50 different projects, access homeowner guidance, make an application for planning permission and building regulations approval online and find a local tradesperson.

“STEP 2 - Building your project. Look up information and guidance about your responsibilities and considerations before you start work. Learn about lawful development certificates and building contracts which can provide peace of mind.

“STEP 3 - Completing your project: Explore the guidance on improving the interior and exterior of your home and find out how building regulations may apply to the changes you make. In this section you can also read about other successful home improvement projects and recommendations.

“Complete and submit an application form to the Council on the planning portal, remembering to attach all relevant plans and supporting information as required. Our help and guidance section can be used for advice on what supporting information is required with your application.

“Some building projects fall within ‘permitted development’ and do not need planning permission. Works that might not need permission include small extensions to your home, some changes of use, outdoor signs and advertisements (although there are special rules around adverts). If you think this could apply to your project, please check with us (

“Good luck with your projects!”

Councillor Mark Heard's Signature

Councillor Mark S. Heard
Chairman of Maldon District Council