You are here:

Home energy and climate change grants and assistance

Grants and assistance

Energy Company Obligation (ECO) Insulation and Heating Grants

There is help available under the ECO scheme, supporting the installation of energy efficiency measures in low-income households and areas, in properties that are harder to treat and for those with some health conditions.

Maldon District Council is working in partnership with Aran Services to offer residents grant funded Loft Insulation and Cavity Wall Insulation which will help to lower your fuel bills and make your home more energy efficient. Some homes may also be eligible for funding to replace broken boilers and other heating improvements.

Loft and Cavity Wall Insulation is a simple and effective method of improving the comfort of your home and reducing fuel bills. You can save an average of up to £360* a year on your heating bills. Help for funding loft and cavity wall insulation is based on the type of home you live in and everyone is entitled to a grant regardless of income.

Aran will provide a free* home energy assessment to identify energy saving improvements to help save you money and make your home more comfortable. The assessment is a grant funding requirement and data protection is strictly observed.

You can book your free no obligation assessment by calling Aran on 01284 812570 or Freephone 0800 587 7795 (charged at your providers calling rate) quoting reference MDCWEB/ECO3. Alternatively, you can request a call back from them.

There are poorly insulated and heated properties scattered throughout the community and even if your house is not eligible you may know someone who could benefit, so please share the above information with them.

Please read the Council's Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent.

Superseded Statement of Intent - withdrawn 9 July 2019

*Based on an average means 3 bed semi with Cavity Walls. Grant funding is calculated using Ofgem deemed savings scores. Grant funding will differ between property types, property size, fuel types and installation. Some heating fuel types are excluded from grant funding streams. Some heating grants may require insulation works to be completed to access grant funding. Private Rented Sector homes are subject to variation in qualifying criteria. Maldon District Council may contact you to confirm the information you provide is correct and true to support ECO Flex applications. Inefficient boiler replacements require a fixed insulation measure to be completed to access ECO3 funding. The Offer and any grant funding is subject to property assessment, and qualifying criteria. All offers are subject to standard terms and conditions found at: or call 01284 812520.

The Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)

The Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) is a long-term government financial support scheme for homeowners, social and private landlords to install renewable heating systems in their homes in England, Wales and Scotland. The Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) is a financial incentive scheme open to anyone to apply for, but those who live off the gas grid are most likely to benefit. If you apply and comply with the scheme rules, you'll receive quarterly payments for seven years. The size of your payment depends on the size of your property and the type of renewable heating system that you choose to install. The Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) will cover certain types of hot water and heating systems, including heat pumps, biomass boilers and solar thermal systems.

About the Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive

Warm Home Discount Scheme

In certain circumstances households may qualify for a discount of up to £135 off their fuel bill. This will depend upon your personal circumstances and your energy supplier. You can check your eligibility for a discount.

Home Heating Cost Reduction Obligation (HHCRO) scheme

Grant assistance for various home energy efficiency measures are available under the Home Heating Cost Reductions Obligation (HHCRO) scheme (also known as "Affordable Warmth").

Your eligibility for grant-assisted cavity wall and loft insulation measures under the HHRCO is dependent on your receipt or eligibility for certain benefits.

Improvements in Private Rented Property

New laws have been introduced designed to improve energy efficiency of homes in the private rented sector. From April 2016 private tenants will have the right to request consent for improvements to make their homes more comfortable, and easier and cheaper to keep warm, and the landlord cannot unreasonably refuse. There are a number of government supported schemes that provide finance for home energy improvements such as insulation and efficient heating systems. Tenants can find out if they are eligible for government support schemes by contacting: The Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234 (open Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and Saturday 10am to 2pm),

The Regulations also set out minimum energy efficiency standards (MEES) for England and Wales. These regulations make it unlawful for landlords to grant a new lease or tenancy of properties that have an energy performance certificate (EPC) rating below E, from 1 April 2018. The regulations do not affect sales. They apply to both commercial and domestic rented properties, with some exceptions.

Fuel Switching

One of the simplest ways of saving on energy bills is to switch energy supplier. Please see Fuel Switching.

Other useful links

Energy Savings Trust