You are here:

Make an enforcement complaint

If you are concerned that development has been carried out without planning permission or have concerns in relation to any other matter for which the team is responsible, please put these matters to us in writing.

To assist the team with their enquiries, you will need to provide us with:

  • Your name and address
  • Email address and/or telephone number
  • Address / location of the alleged breach
  • As much detail as possible in respect of the activity which you believe to constitute a breach of planning control

Anonymous complaints will not normally be investigated.

All investigations are carried out on a strictly confidential basis and the complainant’s details will not be revealed by the investigating officers. On breaches of planning control which warrant prosecution, or which result in an appeal, the complainant may be invited to give a witness statement if their evidence is considered crucial.

Please check what can be built under permitted development

Complainants’ details are exempt from Freedom of Information requests.

Complaints should be submitted using our online complaint form. Alternatively, you can write to us.

If your complaint relates to a Listed Building or works to a tree protected by a Tree Preservation Order, please call us on 01621 854477.

We will register and acknowledge receipt of your complaint, after which it will be prioritised based on the nature of the complaint. An investigation will be carried out in accordance with the time scales for dealing with different types of complaint.

Full details of the service you can expect to receive from us following your complaint can be found in our planning enforcement policy.