You are here:

Tenants Damage Deposit Guarantee Scheme Guide

How it works

This scheme helps people who are unable to raise the deposit for private rented accommodation.

It replaces the cash deposit with a written guarantee provided by the Council. The damage deposit guarantee can represent up to one and half months' rent to cover any damage to the property. It will not cover rent arrears, acts of theft, administration charges or outstanding bills. You need to pay these.

If the landlord needs to make a claim at the end of your tenancy, you need to repay us.


You should

  • have lived in the District for 6 months or more
  • be homeless or threatened with homelessness and are in priority need
  • not have breached any past tenancy with anti-social behaviour or by causing damage
  • be unable to raise the deposit yourself, be unemployed, be in receipt of benefits or on a low income

You will not be eligible if you owe the Council money for the rent in advance scheme or a claim has been made on a previous deposit guarantee.

You will also not be eligible for this scheme if you have been evicted from a property in the last 2 years because of rent arrears or antisocial behaviour.

What you need to do

You need to find a property to rent with a landlord who will accept this scheme.

Before we set up your deposit guarantee, you need to provide ID, proof of income and bank statements. An appointment will be made for you to visit the Council offices to complete the paperwork and agree the date your tenancy will start.

If your application is successful we will ask your landlord for a signed copy of your tenancy agreement and an inventory which will list all the items in the property and their condition. We will visit the property to check this with you. You and your landlord will be asked to read and sign a legally binding damage deposit guarantee contract. You will also be given a copy to keep.

When you decide to leave, you must tell us so that a second inspection can be made. If any damage is found, we will pay the landlord and then recover the cost from you.


If you are claiming housing benefit, it is important to realise that there is a maximum amount of rent that will be paid on each property. Even if you qualify for full housing benefit, you may have to top up any shortfall between your housing benefit and the rent required.

  • If a claim is made you will have to repay the full cost of any claim over an agreed number of months
  • The guarantee bond is available for a maximum of 2 years
  • We do not provide references and you need to talk to your landlord if one is required

If you require any further help or advice, please contact us