An unoccupied property may be exempt where the occupant:
- Has passed away
- Has been detained elsewhere
- Is living in a care home or hospital
- Is living elsewhere to receive or provide care
- Is a full-time student living elsewhere
Or where the property:
- Is held for a minister of religion
- Has been left empty by a bankrupt person
- Has been repossessed
- Cannot be lawfully occupied
An unoccupied caravan pitch or boat mooring may also be exempt.
In some circumstances an empty premium will apply.
Apply for an empty property discount. You will need to select Council Tax, add your Council Tax account number, this is the 9 digits beginning with 6 at the top of your Council Tax bill.
If your dwelling is a second home, meaning it is furnished and no-one's sole or main residence, no discount will apply.
Second homes such as job-related accommodation provided by an employer, a pitch occupied by a caravan or a mooring occupied by a boat are excepted. In such cases, a 50% discount may apply.
Apply for a second home discount. You will need to select Council Tax, add your Council Tax account number, this is the 9 digits beginning with 6 at the top of your Council Tax bill.