You are here:

Business Rates Charity Relief

Charitable and Discretionary Relief

Charities are entitled to relief from rates on any non-domestic property that is wholly or mainly used for charitable purposes. Relief is given at 80% of the bill and the Council has the discretion to give a further relief on the remaining 20% of the bill, for the following:

  • A charity or trustee of a charity whose property is used wholly or mainly for charitable purposes
  • An organisation which is not a registered charity but has charitable objectives
  • A charity whose property is used wholly or mainly for the sale of goods donated to the charity with the proceeds, after deductions for expenses, applied for the purposes of the charity
  • Registered community amateur sports clubs

The Council has discretion to give a further relief on all or part of any rate bill for property occupied by certain non-profit making bodies. This applies not only to charities but also to the following organisations:

  • Non-profit making organisations whose main objectives are charitable, philanthropic, religious or concerned with education, social welfare, science, literature or the fine arts
  • Non-profit making organisations occupying premises wholly or mainly for the purposes of recreation
  • Organisations entitled to mandatory relief

Ratepayers currently receiving rate relief are required to re-apply each year and applications should be made during January of that year.

To apply you need to complete, sign and return the following application forms with any additional information required.