You are here:

Street Trading

There is no requirement in the Maldon District to have a street trading licence or consent. If operating outside the Maldon District, a street trader may require a licence or consent from the local Council for that area.

Street traders and pedlars, however, do need to comply with the law and be mindful of other legislation where registrations or permits may be required depending upon what they are trading.

For example:

  • If selling food, traders need to register with the Council where the food is produced or where the stall or vehicle is usually garaged. If this is in the Maldon District, traders will need to register with us.
  • If collecting in scrap metal, you will need to apply to the local Council for a licence. If collecting scrap in the Maldon District, you will need to apply to us for a licence.
  • If carrying waste, traders may need to have a waste carriers' licence and / or a waste transfer licence. For more information please see the GOV.UK website.

This is not an exhaustive list of examples and other permissions; registrations or licences may be required. Retail goods being sold need to be compliant with trading standards rules and regulations. For more information, please see Trading Standards on the Essex County Council website.

As we have not adopted legislation under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, Schedule 4, we have no control over where traders operate in the District of Maldon. In these circumstances, traders are controlled by the Police under the Pedlars' Acts of 1871 and 1881.

If a street trading licence is not required from the Council, traders should be mindful of the location of where they trade. For example, traders should not present a hazard to other road users on a highway or be on private land without the permission of the owner. If you are there on a more permanent basis, you may require planning permission and you are recommended to speak to the local planning department.