With a private hire operator's licence, you can take bookings for private hire vehicles. The licence lasts for 5 years and you must comply with the licensing conditions.
Please be aware, from the 1st April 2022:-
- all operators (for both new and renewal applications) must submit a basic Disclosure and Barring (DBS) certificate (where an operator is also licensed as a driver, they may use their enhanced DBS certificate, but only when signed up to the DBS update service)
- a basic DBS certificate must be submitted for each partner or director
- during the period of the licence, operators are required to produce basic DBS certificates annually, on the anniversary of their licence being issued
- there are new conditions relating to record keeping and basic DBS checks for employees working in bookings and dispatch of drivers and vehicles.
Please refer to the Council's Taxi and Private Hire Policy and Licensing Conditions for more details.
From 4th April 2022, you will need to be registered with HMRC, please see the government website "Complete a tax check" for more details. If a renewal application, you will need to provide the 9 figure HMRC tax check code. The licensing authority are not permitted to grant a licence without proof of registration. New applicants must be aware of their tax obligations.
Right to work in the UK checks
Your right to work in the UK will be checked as part of your licence application. This may include checking your immigration status with the Home Office and we may share information with them. You must provide a document or document combination that is stipulated as being suitable for this check, usually a passport, residence card, settled status registration or a birth certificate.
If there are restrictions on the length of time you may work in the UK, your licence will not be issued for any longer than this period and automatically lapse at the end of that period. In such circumstances, the check will be repeated each time you apply to renew or extend your licence. If you are disqualified from holding a licence during this period because you have not complied with the UK's immigration laws, your licence will also lapse, and you must return it to us. Failure to do so is a criminal offence.
Please see the fee list.
To apply, submit a completed application form and the following documentation:
- Basic DBS certificate that is less than 28 days old (not required if you are a licensed driver and use the DBS update service). DBS certificates are required for each operator involved in the licence application e.g. partners, directors, etc.
- Proof of entitlement to work in the UK, usually a passport, residence permit, settled status certificate or UK birth certificate
- 9 figure HMRC tax check code (required from 4th April 2022)
You may provide copies of essential documents unless requested otherwise.
Your application will not be considered valid until all necessary information and documents have been produced.