You are here:

Business Rates

What are business rates?

This is a local tax charged to those who occupy non-domestic properties.  This charge goes towards helping pay for the cost of local services.

Non-Domestic properties include; shops, offices, industrial buildings, restaurants, schools, pubs, banks, caravan parks and land used for storage.

The difference between domestic and non-domestic property is not always clear, but we usually say that a property is domestic if it is used only as living accommodation.  This can also include a private garage/outbuilding or garden used for private activity. Where a garage or outbuildings are let out or reserved for other purposes they may be considered 'non-domestic'.

Details of properties listed for business rate purpose and property which we believe are empty are published on a monthly basis. If you think there is a business missing from our list then please report it here for us to look into.

How are business rates calculated?

The Valuation Office Agency, not the Council, is responsible for assessing the rateable value of a property. To find out more about your property valuation or to compare it with others visit the Valuation Office Agency's website.

The rateable value used to calculate the amount of business rates payable for your property is based upon its rental value. If you were to extend the building or change the way in which your business uses the space, the rateable value could be affected.

The amount of business rates payable is worked out by multiplying the rateable value of the property by the rate poundage set by the Government from 1 April each year. To view the list of past and present multipliers for England, visit the Business Link website.

Check, challenge or appeal against the rateable value.

If you disagree with the rateable value, the ratepayer MUST appeal direct to the Valuation Office Agency.

What you need to do

  1. CLICK: to view your rateable value.
  2. FIND: your property by postcode or address.
  3. REVIEW: the information to make sure all your property information held by the VOA is correct.

It will only take a few minutes to do this.

If you think the information held about your property is incorrect, ask the VOA to update your records. If you are the owner or occupier, you will need to register or sign in and claim this property to:

  • view the detailed valuation
  • confirm your property details or advise the VOA that something is correct (check)
  • advise the VOA that you disagree with the valuation (challenge)

If you do not do this, you risk paying too much in business rates.