If you are struggling to pay the Business Rates, please contact us as soon as possible, do not let the matter get worse.
We may be able to change the payment date to one that suits you better or agree a reasonable payment arrangement.
If you do not pay your Business Rates a Reminder and Final Notice will be issued:
- If immediate payment is received, you can continue to pay by instalments
- If you do not make immediate payment or pay future instalments on time, the rest of the year's change will become due and payable in full
If you do not pay, a Court Summons including costs will be issued:
- If the balance is paid in full (including costs) in clear funds before the court hearing date, no further action will be taken
- If you are unable to pay in full, please contact the Council to discuss this matter further
The Court is unable to make payments arrangements at this stage and you are required to contact the Council direct to discuss this matter further.
We will request the Magistrates to grant a Liability Order plus costs on the court hearing date and this enables the Council to proceed with either of the following recovery action:
- The account being passed to enforcement agents for collection
- Insolvency action or bankruptcy proceedings
You do not have to attend court if you agree that the amount is owed. However, if you do go to the hearing, the magistrates will ask if you have a valid defence to stop the liability order being granted.