You are here:

Health and safety at work

Covid-19 Business Spot Checks

The Council is working with the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) to undertake Covid-19 spot checks in businesses within the Maldon district, including those in the retail and hospitality sectors. These checks start on Monday 15th February and will continue for several weeks.

The HSE will be ensuring that duty holders are managing their Covid response and following current government guidance, these spot checks may be by phone or a site visit. Where required, further advice will be given to businesses to ensure that effective measures in place to protect staff, customers and visitors from Coronavirus.

For more information, see Health and safety spot checks and inspections during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic - HSE news

We are responsible for enforcing health and safety law in many businesses across the Maldon District. Resources are targeted at high risk activities or businesses in line with the Health and Safety Executive's (HSE) strategy "The Health and Safety of Great Britain: be part of the solution". For more information, visit the Health and Safety Executive website.

Officers appointed by the Council have a number of enforcement powers which enable them to investigate all matters relating to workplace health and safety in premises where the Council is the enforcing authority.

If an officer finds a breach of health and safety law, they will consider the hazard and risk before deciding on what action to take. The action will be proportionate to the risk involved and may take one of the following options.

  • Verbal advice
  • Written warning
  • Legal notice - improvement or prohibition
  • Simple caution
  • Prosecution

We hold a register of health and safety notices served on businesses which is held at the Council's offices and is available for public viewing. The HSE also holds a public register of convictions.

Right of Appeal

If you are not happy with the requirements an officer has made, this can be challenged in a number of ways. In the first instance, you are encouraged to speak to the officer who has been dealing with you. If the issue cannot be resolved, the matter can be referred to the officer's line manager.

If you are still not satisfied, you can refer the matter to an Independent Regulatory Challenge Panel. The Panel will deal with complaints about advice that is considered incorrect or disproportionate. See the Health and Safety Executive contact page for further information.

Advice and complaints

Advice about health and safety is available on the HSE's website, including:

Accidents, Occupational Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences

If you are an employer or self-employed person, you are required by law to report certain accidents, diseases and dangerous occurrences. For further information, see the Health and Safety Executive RIDDOR information.

If you would like advice about workplace health and safety or would like to make a complaint about a business in the Maldon district, contact us. If making a complaint, your details will be kept confidential.

Home safety is outside our remit; however, various organisations promote health and safety such as ROSPA, see ROSPA's website.