You are here:

Sewers and drains

The pipe that takes bath and toilet water from your house is called a drain and if it joins another pipe from another property it becomes a sewer from the joint onwards.

Responsibility for a blocked sewer or drain

This depends on where the blockage has occurred in the sewer network serving your house. Responsibilities of the householders and Anglian Water changed in October 2011 and details can be viewed here. Please note the Council has no responsibility for the clearance of blockages in private drains or public sewers.

Advice on the clearance of sewers or drains is available at the following links;