You are here:

Food complaints

Food which is sold for humans to eat must be safe, free from contamination and prepared in a clean and hygienic manner.

If there is a problem with food you have bought, you can raise your concerns directly with the business. If you are writing, it is recommended that you keep a record of any emails or letters you send and proof of delivery.

You can also complain to us about food or a food business in the Maldon district. Contact us as soon as possible, especially if you still have a sample of the food. It is also useful to keep your receipt if you have one.

Any complaint will be dealt with in confidence, but we are not able to assist in any compensation claim.

If you are located in the UK, the Citizens Advice Bureau can give advice. If you are outside the UK, contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other concerns

If you have other concerns about a food business, such as noise, dust and drainage, there is information available on our website.