You are here:

Accumulations and deposits

What is an accumulation or deposit?

Any accumulation or deposit which is prejudicial to health or a nuisance can be dealt with as a statutory nuisance.

However, you should note that the accumulation or deposit must be so bad as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance, so it must have a direct physical effect on the use and enjoyment of your property.  The mere presence of an accumulation, however unsightly, is not actionable under this area of law.

Accumulations that have a frequent or constant foul smell or harbour vermin, however, can be investigated by the us.  Also note that nuisance law deals with premises, so we can only use this legislation where the accumulation is on premises, not on open land.  If you are concerned about a fly tipping incident on public land in your area then this can be reported using our online form.

The Law Relating to Statutory Nuisance

How to make a Complaint