Any insects emanating from relevant industrial, trade or business premises and being prejudicial to health or a nuisance can be considered as a statutory nuisance. Note that domestic premises do not come within this definition.
Most likely cause of insect problems
- Poultry houses / farms (buildings on agricultural land are not exempt from statutory nuisance from insects, even though the land surrounding them may be)
- Sewage treatment works
- Manure / silage storage areas
- Animal housing
- Stagnant ditches and drains (for example containing putrid water) (provided they are on relevant industrial premises)
- Landfill sites / refuse tips
- Waste transfer premises
- The commercial parts of mixed commercial / residential blocks of buildings (for example excluding the residential premises contained therein)
- Trade or business premises (for example contaminated goods, kitchen areas)
- Used car tyre recycling businesses
You can find more information on our Pest Advice pages.