What is self-build and custom-build housing?
Self-build and custom-build housing is housing built by individuals or groups for their own use, or by contracting a builder to create a 'custom built' home, designed to meet their own needs.
What is the purpose of the register?
The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 requires the Council to keep and have regard to a register of people who are interested in self-build or custom-build projects in the District. This register will help inform the level of demand for self-build and custom-build plots in the District.
Maldon District's register is divided into two parts:
- Part 1: keeps track of local demand for self-build and custom housebuilding to be met by granting sufficient development permissions for serviced plots of land
- Part 2: keeps track of general demand for self-build and custom-build housebuilding, but there is no requirement to grant development permission for serviced plots or land
Further information can be found at:
- Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016
- Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015
- Right to Build Toolkit
- Self-Build Portal
How do I apply?
To register for Part 1 of the Register you need to meet the following criteria:
- You must be aged over 18;
- You must be a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland;
- You must satisfy the local connection eligibility criteria; and
- You must want to acquire a serviced plot of land to build a house to occupy as your sole or main home.
To complete your registration the Council will require proof of identity, nationality and local connection for all household members. Further information is provided on the application form.
What happens after I register?
Once you are on the register we will keep the register under review and update it on a regular basis. We may ask for confirmation of your continued interest in building in the District to ensure that the register remains accurate.
Please note that the register will not be made public, although the Council may report headline data - such as the overall demand for self-build and custom-build in Maldon - in the Authority Monitoring Report.
In the future, the register may be used to try and match those with an interest in starting a self-build project with landowners who might have suitable plots of land available for housing.
Any proposal for self-build housing will need a formal planning application and will be subject to the relevant policies set out within the Local Development Plan.
Webpage updated 01 March 2022
If you have any queries, are currently on the register and your details change or you wish to be removed from the register, please contact us at email@example.com