You are here:

Flood risk advice

Flood risk advice

Getting Help in an Emergency

  • If there is a risk to life call 999 and ask for the Fire Service
  • If you are vulnerable person, please call 01621 854477


To find out if you are at risk of flooding, please see the Environment Agency website.  From here you can also see up to date flood warnings for places at risks of coastal flooding and flooding from main rivers.

Alternatively, you can call the Environment Agency Floodline on 0345 988 1188 - the code for the Maldon District is 213660

Reporting Flooding

Rivers and the Sea
This type of flooding should be reported to the Environment Agency.Incident hotline: 0800 80 70 60.

From Highway Drains or Gullies

Flooding caused by overflowing drains or gullies within the highway network managed by Essex County Council should be reported to your local area highways office on:
Essex County Highways: 0845 603 7631

Sandbag Policy

Maldon District Council does not provide sandbags to residents or businesses at risk of flooding.  Householders and businesses at risk, are strongly advised to prepare their own flood protection measures in advance of periods of higher flood risk. However, the Council will endeavout to support vulnerable residents. 

How To Protect Your Property

The company's listed below, can provide products to protect your property - there is no recommendation implied by the Council 

Floodguard UK Ltd 

Fluvial Innovations 

Lakeside Flood Solutions

What to put in an Emergency 'Grab Bag' and how to be prepare

Flooding - Frequently Asked Health Questions

Flood Advice Leaflet

Flood Recovery Guide