You are here:

Reporting flooding

What is Maldon District Council’s role?

The Council works with its partner agencies to respond to emergency situations like flooding. If you are at risk of flooding or need advice on dealing with a flood emergency, please go to our flood risk advice page.

In non-emergency situations, you should contact the relevant organisation below:

Surface Water, Ground Water or Non-Main River Flooding - Essex County Council

To report flooding caused by surface water, ground water, or non-main river flooding (such as small streams), please contact Essex County Council at or by calling 0345 603 7631.

Highway Flooding - Essex Highways

To report flooding caused by blocked or overflowing roadside gullies and drains, please contact Essex Highways at or by calling 0345 603 7631.

Main River Flooding - Environment Agency

To report flooding on a main river (such as the, Blackwater, Crouch, Chelmer or Roach), please contact the Environment Agency at or by calling 0800 80 70 60.

A main river is defined as a watercourse marked as such on a main river map and can include any structure or appliance for controlling or regulating the flow of water in, into or out of a main river.

Sewer Flooding – Anglian Water

To report flooding from a sewer system, please contact Anglian Water at or by calling 03457 145 145.

Sewer flooding occurs when sewers or pipes become blocked or overloaded by large quantities of water after heavy rainfall/snowmelt, subsequently causing pollution.

Mains Water Flooding - Essex and Suffolk Water

To report flooding caused by a leaking water main or pipe, please contact Essex and Suffolk Water at or by calling 0800 526 337.

Flooding in your home

If you've noticed a leak in your home or on your property, you'll need to contact a reliable plumber.

You can visit to find a reliable, local plumber.