You are here:

Ukraine Support

The Homes for Ukraine Scheme

The UK is one of the most generous nations in the world and the British public are now being asked to go one step further and open their homes to those fleeing the war in Ukraine.

We have a long history of helping others in their hour of need and the Homes for Ukraine Scheme offers a lifeline to those forced to flee their homes.

How this works

This bespoke scheme will offer a route to those who want to come to the UK who have someone here willing to provide them with a home. It will enable individuals, charities, community groups and businesses to volunteer accommodation and provide a route to safety for Ukrainians, and their immediate family members, forced to escape their homeland.

Sponsors should provide accommodation for as long as they are able, but we have a minimum expectation of 6 months.

Someone is eligible for the scheme if they are a Ukrainian national or the immediate family member of a Ukrainian national, and were resident in Ukraine prior to 1 January 2022.

We will welcome as many arrivals as possible, based on the number of sponsors.

People arriving under this scheme will be able to:

  • Live and work in the UK for up to three years
  • Access healthcare, benefits, employment support, education, and English language tuition

I'm interested how do I register?

If you have a named person who you wish to sponsor you should get in contact with them directly and prepare to fill in a visa application with all their details and yours. The visa application will go live on Friday 18 March.

If you don’t know anyone who you wish to sponsor you may wish to get in touch with charities, faith groups or local community organisations who are starting to make connections between individuals.

You can also record your interest as an Individual or as an Organisation (for example charity, business, community group). Please read the rest of this form and the Frequently Asked Questions first before recording your offer of support, and we will keep in touch with you with updates as the scheme opens and develops.

What sort of accommodation am I expected to provide?

If you have a residential spare room or separate self-contained accommodation that is unoccupied then please come forward. The accommodation must be available for at least 6 months, fit for people to live in, and suitable for the number of people to be accommodated.

Further details on types of accommodation suitable can be found in our Frequently Asked Questions.

Do I need to provide meals or just accommodation?

Just accommodation. There is nothing stopping sponsors offering meals should they wish to.

You will not be expected to cover the costs of food and living expenses (although you may wish to offer this yourself).

Will my Council Tax be affected by taking part?

If you currently receive a single person discount on your Council Tax because you are the only adult in your property, you will lose that discount if a Ukrainian National aged 18 years or older moves into your property.

If you have an empty property and somebody moves into it, they are likely to become liable for the Council Tax as they will be a resident. They may be able to claim Council Tax Support themselves.

If you are claiming Council Tax Support or a Housing Benefit, the presence of another adult (or adults) in your home may affect your support/benefits. As the law stands currently, the £350 payment will be an additional income.

If you take a Ukrainian National (or any other person) into your home or another property that you own, you must let us know. This is so we can make any adjustments to Council Tax discounts or your benefits.

For more information, please visit our Council Tax webpage.

I've recorded my interest, what happens now?

You will be kept updated. In the first phase of the scheme, sponsors will be able to bring named Ukrainians and their immediate family members to the UK. This will launch later this week, and if you have a named family or individual you wish to support you will be able to fill in a form requesting to sponsor them.

If you have recorded your interest, please wait for us to contact you. If you have any questions, please go to

Please see further Frequently Asked Questions for those interested in becoming a sponsor.