You are here:

Environmental Permitting

Licence Summary

We are required to regulate certain types of industries to reduce pollution and in particular improve air quality. The laws include The Pollution Prevention & Control Act 1999 and Environmental Permitting (England and Wales Regulations) 2010 which together govern Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control and Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control.

Our role in the regime is to issue permits which set controls and emission standards to minimise pollution from certain industrial activities. Once a Permit has been issued we routinely inspect the activity, those with a higher pollution potential are inspected more frequently.

If you operate a regulated facility in the District of Maldon, you must have an environmental permit. Please see our leaflet on Environmental Permits.

A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations

Listed activities include:

  • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquefaction and refining activities
  • metals - manufacturing and processing metals
  • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • solvents - using solvents
  • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming

Listed activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • emissions to air, land and water
  • energy efficiency;
  • waste reduction
  • raw materials consumption
  • noise, vibration and heat
  • accident prevention

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions. Permits are available from the Environment Agency or Maldon District Council (the regulator) depending upon the category your business falls within:

  • Part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Part A(2) and Part B installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Council, except waste operations carried out at Part B installation which are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • waste operations or waste mobile plant carried on other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plants, are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency

Local Authorities are required to maintain a public register containing information on all the processes that are permitted by them under Part B or Part 2A of the regulations. Public registers regarding Part A1 processes permitted by the Environment Agency used to also be kept by the local authority in whose area the permitted process was undertaken.

The register lists details of the operator, the type of process, the date the authorisation was given, the application number and the address of the operator's head office. This register must be made available to members of the public for them to view free of charge.

View the register.

Link to the Environment Agency website.