Cost of Living support
Local support resources now available
Created with the One Maldon District partnership, these guides have been created to help signpost you to the different resources, groups, and organisations that can help you in the Maldon District.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the button below, or by going to https://www.maldon.gov.uk/downloads/download/9487/winter_services_community_resources.
You can also open the map by going to arcg.is/1uv09f1.
Information about how to get help paying your bills, finding a job, and overcoming financial hardship plus much more.
Help for Households – Government Cost of Living Support
- Central Government have made available a range of support options in relation to the Cost of Living situation. To find out what support you could be eligible for, go to costoflivingsupport.campaign.gov.uk/.
- Citizens Advice have created a free online budgeting tool to help you understand what you’re earning and spending, and where you might be able to cut costs - citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/budgeting/budgeting/work-out-your-budget/
- Find information on how you can get help with paying your Council Tax - maldon.gov.uk/counciltax
- Find help and support with Benefits - maldon.gov.uk/benefits
- Debt and Financial advice - maldon.gov.uk/financialadvice
- Household Support Fund - details of this and much more can be found on Essex County Council's webpage guide for money, debt and benefits - essex.gov.uk/money-debt-and-benefits/money-and-debt
Bills will be rising from 1 April 2023. If you’re struggling, please get in touch with Anglian Water, the sooner you talk with them, the sooner they can help!
For further information, please see their Extra Care Support pages or call the Extra Care Team directly on 0800 169 3630.
Essex and Suffolk Water
Essex and Suffolk Water have many ways to help including payment breaks and low income discounts plus advice on saving water which can help lower your energy bills too.
To find out more or contact them, go to the Essex and Suffolk Water Financial Support pages.
Money Navigator Tool
- If you're in financial difficulty, you can access money and debt guidance for free using the The Money Navigator Tool from Money Helper UK - moneyhelper.org.uk/en/money-troubles/coronavirus/money-navigator-tool
- Find out how you can get help finding a job as well as how you can get assistance with using the internet and online services - maldon.gov.uk/employmentsupport
Local Support Groups
- Find details of food banks in Maldon District as well as a list of other support groups which are available - maldon.gov.uk/info/20080/your_community/9985/ukraine_support/5
- Essex Lifestyle Service – supporting services for healthy living - midandsouthessex.ics.nhs.uk
- Livewell – Local health and wellbeing services - livewellcampaign.co.uk
- Accessing financial support if you use home oxygen equipment - With the rising cost of living, please remember, you can be reimbursed for the electricity used by your oxygen concentrator.
Click here for information on how to access financial support whilst utilising oxygen.
You are also entitled to join the priority services register with your energy supplier which includes:
- Priority support in an emergency
- Being informed of planned power cuts
Please contact your energy supplier to arrange this if not already in place.
Please see links from OFGEM and Asthma and Lung UK for further information
Help with your heating costs | Asthma + Lung UK (blf.org.uk)
Get help from your supplier - Priority Services Register | Ofgem
- Get support with Housing, such as finding a home, tenancy information, homelessness, managing and adapting your home and more - maldon.gov.uk/housing
Help Paying Your Energy Bill
- Home energy and climate change grants and assistance - maldon.gov.uk/ecoscheme
- The UK's best selection of clearance food & drink at discount prices - approvedfood.co.uk
- Too Good To Go is a free, anti-food waste app that lets you rescue delicious, unsold food from businesses to save it from going to waste - toogoodtogo.co.uk/en-gb
Schools and childcare
- Free school meals - essex.gov.uk/free-school-meals
- Grants in exceptional circumstances - essex.gov.uk/grants-in-exceptional-circumstances
- Help with childcare costs: Funded childcare for 2-year-olds - essex.gov.uk/help-with-childcare-costs
- Tax Free Childcare - Tax-Free Childcare - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- £2 (single journey) bus fare has been extended to 30 June 2023
- Apply for an older person's or disabled person's bus pass - essexhighways.org/concessionary-fares
- Find the best fuel prices locally (please note you are limited to one search per day) - confused.com/petrol-prices
- The 288 bus route is a FREE shuttle service operating between Blackwater Leisure Centre and Tesco Extra Maldon (Monday - Saturday only) - maldon.gov.uk/parkandride
TV Licence fee freeze
- The TV licence fee has been frozen at £159 until 2024. This means households will not see any change to the licence fee until 1 April 2024 - tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/aged-74-and-over-aud3